VACATION CD REVIEWS:
From Jerry Diaz, guitarist for "Hanna's Reef," & Singer/Songwriter:
"Gene Mitchell's new CD, "Vacation" features the great "Tropical-Jazz" mix that has undeniably become his signature sound. In fact, we may look back one day, and realize that Gene pioneered a whole new angle on the tropical music genre. From the snappy beat of the opening cut (the title track) Gene sweeps you away with his smooth rhythms, and breezy lyrics. Gene's pleasing voice completes the picture, and is a great complement to his own lyrics. This CD is probably Gene's most energetic effort to date, with 15 very upbeat tunes.
"Vacation" is perfect for taking with you when you finally do get a chance to "get way," or even for when you were wishing that you could!"
Jerry D., Nederland, Texas
Great CD especially for the summer. Your CDs provide wonderful entertainment. Thank you very much."
Kris M., South Bend, Indiana
Got the package yesterday. This is your best cd yet." John P. Galveston, Texas
The real critic in my family has given the CD a big thumbs up. My wife says this is your best CD ever and would recommend it to anyone who would like a great Tropical/Island CD. The songs are very diverse and seem to cover the whole range of all things Parrothead. The sound on this CD is the real Gene Mitchell that we love to hear."
- Billy H. Peoples (The Old Parrot Head)
"The Big Coconut's latest album "Vacation" is a holiday in itself! Listeners will find themselves getting "Caribbean Crazy" to the party beats and saying "Make Mine A Pina Colada." It's for tourists, party people, romantics, sailors and anyone who appreciates Mitchell's dedication to the fun side of life."
- Paul Leslie, "Time After Island Time" Host and Editor of Tropical Pleasures Magazine.
"Love the new collection. I think "Vacation" is an instant summer favorite. "Caribbean Crazy" is another fav of mine. More sun drentched island fun from a great writer and musician, Gene Mitchell!"
- Dennis "DK" King, Island Time Radio Show Host WBWC FM
"I love the new Gene Mitchell CD. I think the Mr. Big Coconut is really great. I especially liked "Parrot Bay." I can just see him wearing a white sports coat with his hair slicked back while the crowd dances and twirls."
ON GENE MITCHELL'S MUSIC OVERALL:
"Gene Mitchell's lyrics are thought provoking and his melodies sing-a-long, a winning combination."
- Norman Saleet (Songwriter for the #1 Billboard hit "Here I Am" (recorded by Air Supply) and the hit movie soundtrack song "Where Did The Feeling Go" (recorded by Selena).
MAGAZINE ARTICLE REVIEWS:
"Mitchell says, "If you have to explain the song the song doesn't work." Most of his songs need no explaining. Just sit back, relax, and escape to the good life."
- From the article "Gene Mitchell", by Shirley Courson in Nite Times magazine (a division of Styles Media), May 2004 issue. http://NiteTimesMagazine.com
"With the great quality of music and good lyrics, you won't find one song that bores you on these albums (Island Party and Sail-ebration). If you are not familiary with Gene Mitchell's music, you will be happy with these albums and probably want to get the rest to compelete your collection."
- From the article "Florida Sailor and Songwriter Gene Mitchell takes us Down Island Way", by Paul Leslie in Tropical Pleasures Magazine (Volume 2, Number 3, Fall 2003 issue) A.P.G. Publishing, http://TropicalPleasuresMagazine.com
MORE REVIEWS TO COME
Sailor Boy Records
P.O. Box 9555, Panama City Beach, FL 32417
This site is best viewed at 800x600 resolution